Thursday 7 February 2013

Why I love my job...

.... By Fundraising Co-ordinator Faye Wilson.

Monday morning, look through my emails, there’s one from a school asking for an assembly, one from a WI group saying that they would like to make a donation, I’ve got a couple from my corporate supporters among the other usual emails that build up after a weekend. It’s already a good week when you’ve got people waiting in your inbox wanting to support the work that you and your charity are doing….certainly no Monday Morning blues here!!

In the evening I’m out at a networking event, it gives me a chance to talk to new people about the charity I work for – The Children’s Air Ambulance. We’re a new charity and we provide an air transfer service for critically ill children, it’s an interesting and exciting topic and one that people are quick to support and one they want to learn more about, I come away with some good new contacts and know that those people I’ve spoken to will go home and tell their families about the charity and the work we do.

Wednesday – today I spoke to new volunteers, people who have heard about us at a talk or read about us in the local paper, it’s fantastic speaking to people who are as passionate about a service as you are, people who have had experience of having to transfer their child & who know the difference an air transfer service will make to critically ill children, or people who have specific skills and are willing to put those to use for the charity. Again I’m meeting new people who want to help; again it’s a good day….no mid-week hump here!!

Thursday, I have a meeting set up with someone who wants to put on an event for us, the event will help us raise funds and awareness for the charity and sounds like a brilliant idea, I can’t wait to help organise and really look forward to being able to attend the event later on in the day. On Friday it’s time to catch up with other members of the team, we share contacts, things that have worked well or that haven’t and look at ways that we can work together to better promote The Children’s Air Ambulance as we build up to our launch in March.

It’s been a busy but typical week working as a Fundraiser for The Children’s Air Ambulance – so why do I love my job so much, well as you’ll have read I get to meet lots of different people, and the overwhelming response from the people I meet is ‘how can I help you’ and that’s the great thing about working for a charity like this – people want to help, it motivates me through those days when I’d really rather have an extra half an hour in bed and always puts a smile on my face.

So I guess the main reason I love my job is that I know I’m not doing it alone, I’m not even just doing it with my colleagues - I have students, businesses and community groups who are all helping too – and the thing we’re all striving to achieve is to help save young lives, and if you can log off at the end of the day knowing that you’re working towards that, well need you ask why I love my job?!

Find out more about how Love Is In The Air this Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment