Thursday 6 June 2013

My Volunteer Experience

Each year there are millions of people who kindly give up their time to volunteer, helping charities across the UK. Volunteers' Week returns this year on 1-7 June and The Air Ambulance Service is taking the opportunity to say a big thank you to all of their volunteers for the valuable contribution they make, and to celebrate the amazing work that they do to help the Charity.




The Air Ambulance Service has a fantastic Support Crew, made up of 720 volunteers, across their retail, fundraising and admin departments; and without the support of these volunteers the Charity could not provide their lifesaving services. This week on the blog, we speak to one of our Support Crew about why he volunteers with us and what he enjoys about!

Hi, my name is Richard Durham and I volunteer for The Air Ambulance Service. It all started in 2010, when I went on a 4x4 charity challenge. I was sitting on my lawnmower thinking what charity to choose to support during my challenge, when down came the Air Ambulance.

I knew I wanted to choose a local charity, and something anyone might need at some point in there life - so the Air Ambulance was perfect. After a little research, I was shocked to find out that it operated solely on donations and support from the general public. That was my decision made, and I haven't looked back since.

I raised £1000 on my challenge and afterwards I went to visit the airbase of Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance. I learnt so much and was so inspired by what I saw that I ended up signing up as a volunteer.
 
The last two and a half years that I've been volunteering for have been amazing.  My main role is going to events, marshalling, bucket collecting and looking after the helicopter when it lands at events.  I'm always on hand if people want their photos taking next to the helicopter, and I enjoy just chatting to people to raise awareness. I've heard some real heartfelt stories which have even brought a tear to my eye.

I feel so proud of what I do. Knowing that I'm helping save a life and seeing that helicopter fly above my head knowing that someone somewhere needs help is amazing.

I've made some great friends, who I would never have met without being a volunteer. We all have such a laugh and get on so well. It's like one big family. I couldn't recommend it enough.


For more information on our volunteer roles, or to read more about our volunteers' experiences, visit our website or call 08454 130 999.



No comments:

Post a Comment