Monday 25 March 2013

My Barking Mad Challenge!

As you look out at the white winterland, spare a thought for Jordan Sinclair who will soon be getting to grips with a lot more of the white stuff when she sets off on a husky challenge - covering over 200km across Norway in a sled. Jordan has taken up the challenge in aid of Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance, after they saved her life in 2011. This is her story.

A vet student’s life is pretty hectic as it is, but mine is nothing less than jam-packed - and it’s only the first year! In between studies, I’ve been squeezing in gym sessions, cycling, swimming, riding and walking to get fit, while networking to try and get everyone I know to part with some cash to support a fantastic cause. And why?

Well, two years ago, my life was a bit different. In 2011, I had a horrific riding accident. Crushed by a horse, I sustained life-threatening injuries. I broke 12 ribs, each in multiple places, punctured one lung and the other collapsed. Suffocating from the inside, the Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance crew saved my life by operating on site and arriving at the scene with such speed. I then spent 2 weeks in Intensive Care and a month in hospital altogether. I also broke my collar bone and suffered damage to the sciatic nerve, reducing the movement of my left foot.

My accident delayed my start at Glasgow Vet School, so I decided to start volunteering for the Air Ambulance during my involuntary gap year. I helped out in one of their local charity shops, attended bucket collections and even made a trip to the Houses of Commons to tell my story. Although I’m now out of the local area, I still wanted to help raise money for the charity, so they can continue saving lives like they saved mine. As a result, I went for something a little more extreme...
In April, I’ll be pushing myself to the limit and mushing a sled of Huskies across 200km of Norwegian landscape. During the expedition, I’ll be facing tough conditions and physical challenges. While I know it will be demanding - I’ve been getting thoroughly excited sorting out all the kit I’ll need to take.

In preparation, I’ve had lots of help from family and friends. Only I can train to improve my fitness, but charity fundraising has been much more communal. Bucket collections, selling bedding plants, non-uniform days at local schools or hand-made Christmas decorations - you name it, we’ve done it. The latest venture for the last leg of money will be homemade Valentine’s Day cupcakes. I’m on target with fundraising at the minute and hope to exceed the target with a final push over the next couple of months before the trip.

I'll let you know how I get on afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment