Tuesday 3 July 2012

A Day In The Life Of... A Fundraising Manager

Ever wondered what it's like to be a fundraiser? Whether you have what it takes to raise money for a vital cause? Or just what it's like to work for an up and coming charity? Well stop wondering and read this blog post, as we share with you a day in the life of one of our wonderful Fundraising Managers!

Name: Nicole Rolfe

Role: Fundraising Manager for The Children’s Air Ambulance in Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire

How long have you worked for us?

I started working for the charity at the end of March this year

Why did you choose to work for us?

I have been a full time fundraiser for the last 7 years and did a lot of voluntary work for charities before this, so I wanted to continue in this sector. I have many friends with small children and whilst I hope they will never need this service, I want to help secure the funds needed to get this service up and running to help families that need us now and in the future.

What do you enjoy most about your job?

First and foremost it is the variety – no two days are the same, in fact no two hours are the same! I also love meeting new people and working with supporters. We have very enthusiastic and passionate corporate supporters, volunteers and individual fundraisers. It is a pleasure working with each and every one of them.

What do you do when you’re not working?

I enjoy everything outdoorsy! When I’m not at work you can find me on a bike, in the sea, running around the local country park, camping and walking over coastal paths. I have been lucky enough to climb Mount Kilimanjaro twice, trek in Peru and take part in a number of other challenges. I am planning to do a half marathon this year and triathlon next year. 

Nicole at the top of Mount Kilimanjaro!

My day.....

A fundraiser’s role is not 9 ‘til 5. We work many early mornings, late evenings and weekends but we do it because we love it!

As I said previously no two days are the same so instead of describing a typical day I thought I would tell you about my day yesterday.

Unless I have an early breakfast networking event I will spend first thing catching up on emails and Twitter. Twitter has become a great way to communicate quickly and easily with current and potential supporters as well as keep up-to-date with local news. As Fundraisers we juggle many projects, so this catch up time is precious.

My day often includes a networking event and meetings, which means I can be out on the road for several hours during the day. It can be very tiring but I would rather this than work in an office all day. Variety is the spice of life! 

At 09:00 I met one of our new corporate supporters, Blue Frog Toys, at our base at Coventry Airport. These base visits are always very exciting for our supporters and many photos are taken. Yesterday’s photos were particularly unique as they were of Ernie, Bert and a blue frog taking a ride in the Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance. Blue Frog Toys are proving to be a great corporate supporter, raising awareness of the cause on Twitter, introducing us to key business networks and building links with groups.

Ernie, Bert and a blue frog take a trip in WN Air Ambulance!

After a quick catch up with my colleagues, I jumped into the car and drove back down to Oxfordshire where I had a meeting with a potential corporate supporter, a hotel just outside of Witney.  A company’s support doesn’t need to be monetary; however we wouldn’t turn away a cheque or cash! I love this part of my job; I get a real buzz from pitching to companies and working on fundraising plans together.

After this I had a break to catch up on missed calls and emails, before heading off to Carterton to meet up with my first supporter group, a lovely group of ladies who I have the pleasure of working with.

At our meeting we were discussing plans for the next fundraising event, having had a very successful Ladies Day just a week ago.

I am very passionate about volunteering having been a volunteer for many years before becoming a full time charity fundraiser. It is important to me that my volunteers are enjoying their experience with the Charity.

Then it was time to go to my Pilates class, head home and relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment